St. Joseph Bicycle Accident Lawyer
Peaceful bicycle rides and commutes turn into painful bicycle accidents hundreds of times each year in Missouri. Almost every single bicycle accident results in injury or fatality. If you are amongst those who were involved in a bicycle accident, it’s likely you have suffered significant injuries. These injuries may lead to a lengthy recovery, and extensive medical bills. You may also lose time off work due to your injuries, suffer property damage, and more. A St. Joseph bicycle accident lawyer from Patterson Legal Group may be able to help you.
We have recovered over $175 million on behalf of our clients so far, and aim to increase that amount by assisting families just like yours win the compensation they deserve. For a free case evaluation and consultation, contact us 24/7 by calling (816) 920-0000, using our convenient LiveChat feature, or filling out this online form.
Common Injuries Caused by Bicycle Accidents in St. Joseph
In 2019 alone, 450 bicycle accidents occurred on Missouri roads. Of these, 369 caused personal injury. While this number is less than previous years (754 crashes in 2002 led to 616 injuries), bike accident injuries still happen statistically once a day in our state. There are many injuries that bike accidents cause, like:
- Cuts, bruises, and road rash
- Broken bones in the face, back, limbs and more
- Muscle tears
- Ligament and tendon tears, common in the knees and legs
- Skull fractures
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Joint injury, like shoulder dislocation
- Nerve injuries to the spinal cord (sometimes leading to paralysis)
- Internal damage to organs
- Permanent disfigurement
Any one of these injuries may take you or a loved one out of work during the healing process that often requires a period of time for rest and recovery. And even though the amount of physical suffering and emotional pain can vary for the accident victim, any amount of missed time from work can hurt a household by creating financial hardship. All of this makes it difficult to move forward. Thankfully, you can get professional legal help 24/7 at Patterson Legal Group to help alleviate some of the burden created by another’s negligence. Connect with a bicycle attorney today for help seeking financial compensation and overall peace-of-mind.
Fatalities Caused by Bike Accidents
Bike accidents can cause fatalities, too. There were thirteen fatal bike accidents in 2019, and a total of 118 fatalities since 2002. When a fatality happens due to another party’s negligent or reckless actions, the family may be able to file a wrongful death claim. While no amount of money can ever replace a loved one, filing a claim may help the family of the deceased recover financially from their loss.
Causes of Bike Accidents
Many scenarios on the roadway may lead to less than optimal conditions for a safe ride. Here are a few.
- Weather may sometimes cause bike accidents, due to lowered visibility. However, this is no excuse for a motor vehicle driver to strike a bicyclist. Drivers must take extra caution in any poor weather conditions.
- A distracted driver may strike a bicycle while they look at their phone, GPS, radio, etc.
- Drivers may hit a bike during a passing maneuver.
- Cars and trucks may strike a bicyclist if they do not follow traffic signals, and/or run a red light.
- Vehicle doors opening may cause bicyclists to run into the door at full speed. Drivers and passengers of vehicles must take a few seconds before opening doors to ensure everyone’s safety.
- Impaired drivers may have an altered state of mind, causing slower reactions when realizing a bike is in the roadway.
- A larger motor vehicle may drift into a bike lane.
- Backing up too quickly, without double checking for incoming bikes, may cause a bike to be struck.
Many bicycle accidents happen at no fault of the bicyclist. Instead, they are often caused by passenger vehicles, trucks, and more that do not properly share the road. When an accident occurs due to another’s actions, the victim may be entitled to financial compensation through a personal injury claim.
Should I File a Claim after My Bike Accident?
Determining the exact cause of your accident can get confusing. For instance, you may have a case even if another vehicle never struck you. And, according to Missouri law, you only have five years to file from the date of your accident. So, it’s best to seek out a bicycle accident lawyer in St. Joseph. We are open 24/7, so you can receive assistance whenever you need it.
Connect with a St. Joseph Bicycle Accident Lawyer
We pride ourselves in providing quality representation for all of our clients, and your satisfaction is our highest priority. There are no out of pocket expenses unless we win your bicycle accident case. So, don’t hesitate- call (816) 920-0000 for your free consultation with Patterson Legal group today!