Kansas National Safety Month takes place in June. The annual event is organized by the National Safety Council in order to raise awareness of numerous safety issues. The National Safety Council is a nonprofit organization that promotes strong safety practices in order to prevent avoidable personal injuries.
One of the areas Kansas National Safety Month focuses on in 2020 is driver safety. There are many things that motorists and pedestrians can do in order to prevent car accidents and pedestrian accidents. The following are some of the National Safety Council’s recommendations.
Kansas National Safety Month: Tips for Drivers
- Obey posted speed limits and stay aware of your driving speed, especially in areas with reduced traffic
- Avoid distracted driving by putting your phone away, avoiding eating, or drinking while driving, and staying alert
- Watch for pedestrians, bicyclists, scooter riders, and skateboarders practicing physical distancing, as they may be distracted or enter the street to maintain a safe distance from others
- Plan your route before you start driving in order to avoid areas with increased street closures and road work
Kansas National Safety Month: Tips for Pedestrians
- Stay on sidewalks when possible and walk facing traffic if there is no sidewalk
- Cross streets at crosswalks or intersections where drivers expect pedestrians–if you need to cross outside of expected areas, look for traffic in all directions, and only cross when there are no vehicles are present
- Avoid distraction while walking by not using your phone and lowering the volume of your music so that you can hear surrounding traffic
- Make eye contact with drivers before crossing in front of them and always cross in well-lit areas
- Bicyclists should use designated bike lanes when available, follow stop signs and other traffic signals, and always wear helmets
- Wear high visibility clothing whenever you go outside at dusk or at night
- When biking, make sure both you and your bike are well illuminated
Contact Patterson Legal Group
Patterson Legal Group hopes that you and your family practice the National Safety Council’s recommendations. By following these practices together, we can reduce the number of accidents in Kansas. While Kansas National Safety Month is a great time to learn and become more informed about the best safety practices, we hope that you and your loved ones follow them all year.
That said, we understand that some accidents are unavoidable. When that happens, Patterson Legal Group is ready to fight by your side. Our team of compassionate and skilled attorneys will do everything possible to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation for your injuries. Our staff is available 24/7 at 888-687-2400 and online via secure contact form and LiveChat. Don’t get shortchanged by insurance companies! Contact Patterson Legal Group today.
The information on this blog is for informational purposes only. It is not meant to serve as legal advice for an individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship nor does viewing this material constitute an attorney-client relationship.