Chemical and Fire Burn Injuries
HAVE YOU SUFFERED FROM A BURN INJURY?
Among the most horrific types of injury a person can endure is a burn injury. Burns often leave victims with extensive scarring – in most cases it will remain with the victim for a lifetime, long after the initial accident takes place. Fire, heat, radiation, steam or chemicals can all result in serious burns. It’s also possible for burns to occur as a result of car accidents, industrial or factor accidents, chemical spills, or building or electrical fires. The National Institute of Health (NIH) reports that each year, 1.1 million people suffer burns that require medical attention, 45,000 of which require hospitalization. Victims of a burn injury frequently require full-time expert care to treat the lasting psychological and physical damage caused by burning.
Types of Burn Injuries
Burn injuries are typically categorized by the amount of tissue damage as well as the level of skin affected by the burn.
- First-degree burns are generally minor and cause damage to the outer layer of skin (epidermis). The skin appears red and may be painful. First-degree burns are generally treated with at home care from a first aid kit and are likely to heal within a few days.
- Second-degree burns are moderate to severe burns, causing damage to both layers of skin (epidermis and dermis). Second degree burns cause the skin to appear swollen and red, and also cause blistering of the affected area. First aid measures can be used if there is only a small area of the skin affected, otherwise physicians generally recommend medical treatment. Scarring is also possible once a second-degree burn has healed which make take 2-3 weeks or longer.
- Third-degree burns are serious injuries, causing damage to all skin layers. The skin may appear charred black, tan or white. A severe burn destroys nerve tissue and causes the area to be numb to touch. Third-degree burns must be treated as a medical emergency as they require proper cleansing, administration of IV fluids, antibiotics, and possible skin grafts or artificial skin. The time it takes a third degree burn to heal depends on the severity of the burn
- Treatment depends on the type of burn, size of burn, and the damage to various levels of skin. It is always recommended you consult a health professional if you are unsure with how to treat a burn.
BURN CASES REQUIRE RESOURCES AND EXPERIENCE
Every burn injury case handled by Patterson Legal Group, LC is investigated by an attorney and our experienced staff. We’ve spent years refining our case preparation techniques into an organized and efficient system we use with each client to ensure we deliver effective presentations on your behalf in negotiations, or in front of a judge or jury. Our track record of successful results includes multi-million dollar jury verdicts and settlements.
To learn how our team might be able to help you, contact us online or call us at 888-687-2400. Our services in all burn injury are provided on a contingency fee basis. This means we do not charge anything for our services unless you are compensated for the burn injuries you have sustained. This allows our clients the chance to level the playing field by having access to experienced burn accident lawyers with no upfront costs to you.
Are you not sure our firm is right for you? We encourage you to talk to other lawyers. We are confident you’ll see the difference when you work with our team of attorneys experienced with handling burn injury cases and who care about our clients’ well being.
ACT PROMPTLY AND CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY THAT KNOWS BURN INJURIES
When a victim suffers from a burn, the accident scene may change very quickly or disappear entirely, and the memory of witnesses soon fade. It’s important to take several actions immediately. It may be necessary to preserve evidence. An experienced burn accident attorney may need to take pictures of where the burn occurred, or the injuries you have suffered. The accident scene in a fire or chemical burn may change within hours due to weather conditions if it occurred outside, or it may be cleaned up before evidence can be collected. An attorney might seek to find video footage of the accident if it is available, or collect evidence to be safely stored for later inspection by an accident reconstruction expert.
A burn lawyer may also need to investigate the accident scene and interview eyewitnesses. Taking quick action may make the difference in the amount of damages you’ll be able to recover for your injuries. Patterson Legal Group, LC has handled over 2,000 accident cases. Let us take care of your case, while you and your doctor focus on recovery.
HIRING EXPERTS IN BURN INJURY CASES
There are a lot of factors that can make a burn injury case complex and difficult to litigate. It is often appropriate to use expert witnesses whose knowledge and ability to communicate with a judge or jury about industry standards for maintenance, or the manner in which your accident occurred, that may make a difference in the outcome of your case. Expert witnesses frequently testify about:
- The nature of the accident that caused your burn;
- Whether the burn was caused by the negligence of another;
- Standards or customs of reasonable care;
- The chain of events leading to the burn injury;
- Factors that may have contributed to the burn accident, such as negligent supervision;
- Recreation of a burn accident scene;
Expert witnesses may also be helpful in evaluating and explaining the severity of your burns. Severe burn injuries may change your quality of life, your mobility, or the way you are able to complete tasks. Many burn victims have skin damage that requires extensive surgeries and may leave life-long damage. Experts such as neurologists, surgeons, economists, life-case planners, vocational rehab and physical therapists, are necessary in cases where you or a loved one has been severely injured. It is important that you choose an attorney with enough monetary resources to hire the necessary expert witnesses if you hope to obtain the maximum compensation for your injuries.
The burn injury lawyers at Patterson Legal Group, LC are prepared to help our clients realize the best possible outcome for the injuries they have sustained. Call us today at (888) 687-2400 for a free initial consultation.