Why Do I Have to Pay Back Personal Injury Protection (PIP)?

In Kansas accidents, Personal Injury Protection (PIP) benefits are generally available for motor vehicle accidents.  PIP coverage is often the first responsible payer for the medical bills related to an accident.  If you were not at fault for causing and accident, and you make a recovery from a person who was at fault for causing the accident (also known as a “tortfeasor”) that person is responsible for all of the bills related to the accident.

Not all states require repayment of PIP benefits, however, the Kansas legislature sets the requirement in K.S.A. 40-3113a(b).  If you wait too long to reimburse your PIP carrier for what they are owed, K.S.A. 40-3113a(b) allows the PIP carrier to go after these benefits (also known as “subrogation”) on their own after 18 months.

Learn more by visiting Kansas Personal Injury Protection (PIP) FAQ.

The information on this blog is for informational purposes only. It is not meant to serve as legal advice for an individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship nor does viewing this material constitute an attorney-client relationship.