Kansas Auto Insurance

What statute covers auto insurance in Kansas?

The statute is K.S.A. Chapter 40, Article 31, commonly known as the Kansas Automobile Injury Reparations Act.  The purpose of the act is to promptly compensate people with injuries resulting from motor vehicle accidents.

Who is required to have automobile insurance in Kansas?

Every person who owns a vehicle that is (or is supposed to be) registered in Kansas. Certain exemptions do apply, but there are very few of them.

What this means for you:  

If you have a vehicle, even if it isn’t paid off yet, you must meet the minimum requirements for automobile insurance.

How will anyone know whether or not I actually have automobile insurance?

If you are operating a vehicle on any public property, a police officer may request evidence of your ability to pay the minimum insurance coverage.

What this means for you:  

If an officer pulls you over, he may ask for proof of insurance, and you will have to produce your insurance policy or a certificate of insurance with the name of the insurer on it, the policy number, and the expiration date of the policy.  If you fail to carry proof, you may be issued a citation.

What is the minimum necessary coverage for my insurance policy?

The policy itself must explicitly describe all vehicles covered, cover the person named (“the insured”) and any other person using the vehicle with the insured’s consent, state the coverage afforded, the insurance premium, and the policy period, and it must contain a statement showing compliance with the Act being discussed.  The coverage may not be less than $25,000 for bodily injury or death of one person, $50,000 for bodily injury or death of two or more people, and $10,000 for property damage of others.  The policy must also include personal injury protection benefits (PIP benefits) of at least $4,500 for the insured, relatives who reside in the same household as the insured, anyone operating the vehicle, passengers, and other people struck by the vehicle while not inside it.

What this means for you:

Insurance companies will know this statute, but it is a good idea to understand the minimum necessary coverage for your insurance policy.  It is also helpful to understand who it covers.

Are there any exceptions to coverage?

Yes.  The insurance company does not have to cover incidents in a few different situations–1)  most notably intentional acts, 2) when the vehicle is being used in the course of employment, and 3)when the vehicle is a rental.

What this means for you:

If you intentionally cause an accident, your insurance company does not have to cover your injuries or those of the person injured.  Instead, you may be held personally liable for your actions.  Incidents involved in the course of employment are potentially covered by Workman’s Compensation and should be discussed with your employer.

The information on this blog is for informational purposes only. It is not meant to serve as legal advice for an individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship nor does viewing this material constitute an attorney-client relationship.