For many Kansas residents and visitors, autumn is the best time of year in the Sunflower State. The changing leaves make for beautiful scenery and temperatures have cooled, but are still ideal for outdoor activities. From arts and crafts events to group hikes to outdoor concerts, there are so many wonderful fall activities in Kansas. Unfortunately, this also means an increased chance of Kansas fall festival injuries. To help you and your family stay safe in autumn, the Kansas injury lawyers at Patterson Legal Group offer the following advice.
Common Kansas Fall Festival Injuries and How to Avoid Them
With a wide assortment of activities to enjoy in autumn, there are a wide variety of ways to suffer accident injuries. With more than 25 years of successfully serving injury victims, Patterson Legal Group has represented clients that have been injured from many different types of autumn accidents. Here are some of the most common injuries our attorneys have seen and ways to avoid them.
Slips, Trips, and Falls
Slip and fall accidents can be very common in the fall season. While autumn foliage can be gorgeous, it can also be slippery, especially when wet. Additionally, some people also wear summer footwear after the season has ended, which can be inappropriate for fall activities. Some of the ways that you can avoid slips, trips, and falls in autumn include:
- Wearing shoes with grippy soles
- Avoiding paths with abundant fallen leaves
- Using a walking stick or trekking poles if you’re on a hike
Many fall activities include gathering around bonfires and fire pits in the evening. This can be a relaxing and toasty way to socialize (and roast some marshmallows), but it can also lead to burn injuries. Thankfully, most burn accidents are highly preventable. Our team recommends:
- Making sure that everyone is at least six feet away from the fire
- Keeping flammable liquids away from the fire
- Using fireplace tongs and protective gloves when moving burning logs
Drunk Driving Injuries
Some Kansas fall festival accidents occur due to the consumption of alcohol or recreational drugs. If you’re attending an event where alcohol is being served or people are using recreational drugs then take some precautions in order to avoid a car crash or pedestrian accident. Some simple things you can do to stay safe include:
- Using a designated driver, taxi, or rideshare service
- Getting a hotel room in walking distance of the event you’re attending
- Giving a friend your car keys and have them make sure that you can drive home safely
Many Kansas autumn events include delicious food. Unfortunately, not every vendor prepares and serves food safely. In order to avoid food poisoning caused by negligence, our team suggests:
- Inspecting a food stand before purchasing
- Making sure the people handling your food are wearing gloves
- Looking to see if the food stand has a disinfecting or handwashing station
- Checking to see that your food is cooked thoroughly before eating it
Cuts and Lacerations
Some of the best fall activities include seasonal attractions, such as corn mazes and hayrides. However, not all of them are set up safely. Some of the most common Kansas fall festival accidents our team has seen include deep cuts and lacerations caused by sharp objects in special attractions. In some cases, the cuts are so deep that they cause soft tissue damage. You can lower your chances of a laceration by:
- Wearing thick pants and long-sleeved shirts
- Keeping an eye out for protruding metal
- Staying away from the edges of a corn maze and hayride cart
Contact a Kansas Injury Lawyer
The team at Patterson Legal Group hopes that you and your family have an enjoyable and safe autumn. Please follow the safety tips above to help prevent any Kansas fall festival injuries. Should you or a loved one get into an accident caused by the negligence or recklessness of another party, contact us for immediate assistance.
You can reach Patterson Legal Group 24 hours a day, 7 days a week by phone at (888) 687-2400 and online through our encrypted contact form or connecting with our LiveChat agents. Consultations are free and our injury lawyers work on a “no win, no fee” basis, so you won’t pay a thing unless money has been recovered on your behalf.
For over 25 years, Patterson Legal Group has been representing injury victims in Kansas, Missouri, and Oklahoma. Our accomplished injury attorneys have recovered more than $250-million in settlements for thousands of clients. To get the highest settlement possible and the respectful treatment that you deserve, contact us today.